Sunday, September 20, 2009

Learning from the Best

Today I finally had a moment to sit down and watch Cinema Paradiso directed by Giuseppe Tornatore. My sweet brother, Dino, sent me a DVD of this magnificent film that won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1990. Dino thought it would be a good example of, not only an excellent screenplay, but of one that revolved around flashbacks. Since the screenplay I am writing also involves flashbacks, it was interesting to note, as Dino insists, the audience can "fill things in...you don't have to explain everything." I am beginning to understand that, similar to good literature, screenwriting helps the audience see what is happening without having to explain every scene. You can explain with a sound, or a shadow, or a color.

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I am frustrated (again) that tomorrow is Monday, which means a week of regular work - a week of not being able to concentrate on my screenplay. I do have time to ponder Cinema Paradiso, however, and that will be good. I need to take it in, digest it, and contemplate how I can effect the same emotions in my audience.

Thanks for the gift, Dino. You're the best!

3 comments:

  1. Dino does sound like a great brother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah finally! I've been waiting for an update on your progress. It's great that you have a resource like Dino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just try not to be intimidated by a great picture like "Cinema Paradiso" -- remember that it's an end-result, the product of years of study and craft, years of contemplating the subject matter, numerous outlines and drafts, pre-production, millions of dollars, hundreds of people, post-production, etc. Still, none of that would have compensated for a weak story. STORY IS KING! Get that right, and it will likely merit and attract all the other elements.

    Onward! Love... Dino

    ReplyDelete