Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beginnings

August 15, 2009


Yesterday, I went to see Julie and Julia, a true story about a modern day woman who starts a blog about her passion for cooking and admiration for Julia Child. Although I enjoyed the movie, as much as getting away for an evening with girlfriends, I left the theater thinking, “That was a simple story, really. La Mia Storia is at least as entertaining.” I wonder if I could write it. I recall an old family friend, Debbie, compelling years earlier, “You should write your story.” Could I write a screenplay? Summer vacation is over; school resumes on Monday. When will I have time?

Having already completed the memoir of La Mia Storia, I figure I have an outline. I have a good story. I’m a good writer. What I need is the basics of screenplay writing. I spend today searching the web for just that…and find a plethora of information. How to Write a Screenplay in 3 days, 10 days, 30 days. Hmmmm? Why do I want to rush? Next, the nuts and bolts. Ahhh, this is what I need…the mechanics of screenplay writing. The rules. Beat, copyright, etc. Then, suggestions for How To books. Who wrote them? Can I really rely on someone whose webpage is so poorly written that the grammar and spelling are beyond bad? I bookmark several resources and download a free screenplay writing skeleton.

I e-mail my creative brother, who responds quickly to my over-zealousness. Always encouraging, he warns me about the art of screenplay writing. Millions try it; few succeed. “But, don’t give up,” he encourages. He calls later in the evening and gives me an earful of pointers. “You have to have a protagonist…who resolves something.” I tell him my ideas. We talk at length about books to read. He’s sending me stuff to review. Good.

I come home from a birthday party and write a list of 6 things on a to-do list (no deadline):

  1. Finalize memoir
  2. Divide storyline into beats (thanks, Dino)
  3. Read several screenplays
  4. Read How To books
  5. Write
  6. Research copyright/title

OK, I can go to sleep now. Turn off the light. Turn on the light. I have a thought. I have paper and a pen on my side table so I start to write notes. Turn off the light. Turn on the light. More notes. It’s now 1:30 a.m. and I still can’t sleep. I’m too excited. Am I nuts? I start thinking about getting Gabriele Muccino (director of Pursuit of Happyness) to read my script. HAAAA!!! My thinking is that, in writing a movie that takes place in L’Aquila, we can bring attention to the now-destroyed city and raise money for rebuilding. Again, am I nuts? I envision a plaque with my name on it in the refurbished piazza in 10 years. Dreamer! I decide I can’t sleep anyway, so I might as well write. So, here I am. Now almost 2 a.m. and I still can’t sleep. I feel inspired. God, help me to slow down. This is craziness! I give myself a deadline of completing before I turn 50.

Before I go to sleep, I check e-mail to see what Dino or Debbie thinks of my memoirs. Good night.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to keeping up with the blog and following your progress! Not to worry, creativity and crazy go hand in hand. Personally, I see a statue of you atop one of the fountains of L'Aquila...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Turn off the light. Turn on the light. I have a thought."
    I love that line. That's the story of my life! I carry a tiny notebook with me 24/7 now for those moments!
    I am so excited you are writing your story! It's going to be amazing! You've always been a great writer!!
    You are crazy, but that's a good thing!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete